Hey Bartender!





          I have spent the last four years of my life, making a pretty hefty income, from tending bar. I have met a lot of interesting people, all the while building up my clientele. I've worked all types of events, from normal bar settings, private events, and events as large as a 5,000 person concert. The flexibility it gives me, is one that I wouldn't trade for the world. It allows me the freedom to be a full time student during the day, and to travel at my leisure. I've never seen any need to defend this line of work, but it seems like more and more people are under the misconception that bar-tending isn't a real job.

            Now, here's the thing, I've been working since the age of 14, you name it, I've done it. From camp counselors, to receptionist, sales associate, and believe it if you may, a toll collector. I have an extremely strong work ethic. I'm an ambitious, young woman, with big dreams, and an infectious desire to see the world. I've experienced the ins and outs of a 9 to 5, and while the routine pay checks were great, once I started realizing I could make what  someone makes in two weeks, in a day or two, the alternative seemed much more appealing. We work long hours, have to deal with drunk idiots in a polite manner,on a day to day basis, it can be wildly degrading, and it's hard to find someone strong enough to weather the storm of dealing with a popular, or attractive bartender. All the while, we still have to defend what we do, to the likes of people who can't comprehend what it means to make $600+ in a night, and still wake up the next morning to pursue the bigger picture.

          I've worked a lot of parties, and the people complaining about the field of work I've chose, are usually the same ones dishing out the money to be in these events. I used to love to be in a party, but after living on campus, and having to deal with real life experiences, I got over the phase. I still wanted to be in the night life, so I settled for the next best thing. Why pay for parties? When I can be paid to work them?The alternative seemed to make so much more sense. I wanted to make revenue from these parties. Why couldn't I both attend the party and make money while there? It seemed realistic to me, and it offered such a wide range of freedom and flexibility, that for Christmas, almost five years ago, I asked for bar tending lessons. It was one of the best gifts I could have ever asked for. Through it, I received a recession proof job. While many people struggle to find work, I never had to. While some struggle to make ends meet, I have to remind myself day to day, to put this great money I'm making in a safe, so I can one day, very SOON, fund my real life dreams.

          For a lot of us in the night life, this is no where near the destination. It is just a stop along the way, while we're working our way to the final stop. Yes, a lot of parties now require us to dress in body suits and leotards, but sex sells, and that's not only in the industry I work in. You don't believe me? Google an Axe commercial, hell even Google the Tom Ford Cologne Ad . You name it, and high up corporate executives have been selling sex since the beginning of time. I am in no way saying that this is right, but I'm also not sitting here saying it's wrong either. I'm just stating the facts. I sell alcohol for a living, which in it self can be looked upon as negatively. But the party industry I'm in, isn't the first to use women, to their advantage to push the sales of liquor companies. There are plenty of beverage companies that sign beautiful women, from all walks of life as brand ambassadors for these company's, to parade around in little shorts, and fitted tanks with logos on, to promote their stuff. Let's face it, alcohol is marketed towards men. Men are simple creatures, and I say this with the utmost respect. It's just the truth. They're visual. Put a hot woman behind anything, whether fully clothed or half naked, and they'll spend whatever on it. I know this from personal experience. I have the luxury of living two different night life roles. I am a full time mixologist, who comes to work fully clothed, and can still go home with a few hundred dollars a night, without having to do anything more than incite stimulating conversations, and smile. I enjoy the switch up, because hey, sometimes I too, don't feel like being a sex pot. I understand the need for it in certain clubs I work in, so when it comes down to me having to wear a leotard, I put it on, and muster up the flirtiest smile I can, and sell the dream. After all, that's what every huge marketing company knows. It's not about actually having sex, it's about the idea of it. The fantasy that they stimulate in your mind. I'm a writer, so I'm all about stimulating the fantasy, but best believe, when that light comes on at 4 am, you can find me going straight to the back to put my sweats on. Sorry fellas, this dream has ended.

           As with everything, there's always a few spoiled apples that ruin the bunch. Are there women in this night life industry who have sex for money? I don't doubt it. Are there some, who've gotten so caught up in the popularity that their heads have gotten bigger than their heart? You bet your last dollar there are. Are there women, who have no other plan but to do this until they meet a rich man, who will give them the world, so they can give up the night life for good? There's probably a good percentage. And are there women, who just want to use this as a stepping stone to brand themselves to be video vixens? I mean with social media being such a huge platform, how could you blame them? Yes all of these women exist in this industry, but just like they exist so do some really influential ones as well. I have met women who are full fledged mixologist's who can make cocktails out of anything, not strictly limited to just liquids. I have met women, who are are in graduate school, working their way to funding their own dreams. I have met women, who are going to be the next huge fashion icons. C.O's, nurses, teachers, you name it, and I promise you I've met them. Don't be so quick to judge the book by it's cover. Stay a while, maybe try and flip through the pages.


          I don't judge anyone's hustle, because I respect people on the grind way too much to be able to do so. I'm all about uplifting each other. You work as hard as I do? You're out here grinding, trying to be self sufficient, who am I to tell you anything? I work hard as hell, and still make sure to get up for class, and do what I may not want to, but what will continue to provide for me the future I want. I wouldn't trade the stage I'm at currently, because I'm in a good space. I'm working towards things, with the freedom and flexibility that most people with 9 to 5's only dream about having. And on most days, I have a lot of fun doing it. So I get it when people say it isn't a real job, because how can someone who loathes waking up day to day to go sit behind desk, understand someone who has fun while making money, and still wake up to do something for my future self as well? I guess I'd feel the need to constantly come at everyone I know that shares the same job title. I've never felt the need to defend this line of work, and now that I've got all this out there, I won't be addressing it again. I look forward to showing you what the life of a mixologist/bartender of all things night life, actually really looks like. In the mean time, keep watching us work. Oh, and please continue to make this job a reality for us, I mean after all, it is you that keeps us in business ;)


lots & lots of love,

--A

Comments

  1. It is about time someone addressed this topic...although I am not a bar tender I am very much in the night life so I see the highs and low that the job intels...with that being said, all the young women I know in this line of work are some of the most goal driven, conservative, professional beings I have come to meet. None one of them are living the dream but just simply using what they have (mental and physical) to continue striving to really acheive their ultimate goals which u stated are certain things like fashion designers etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts